When Samurai meets Gundam – Bandai x Threezero Fullmetal Ghost
Few days ago I was contacted by Cody from Threezero for their new upcoming stuffs. To my surprise, the new series, Bandai x Threezero Fullmetal Ghost is designed by the original Gundam designer Kunio Okawara.
BANDAI x THREEZERO 重甲侍鬼 FULLMETAL GHOST Promotion Video
Let’s see how a Gundam designer design a new robot based on Samurai concept.
BANDAI x THREEZERO 重甲侍鬼 FULLMETAL GHOST
重甲侍鬼, literally means “Samurai Ghost with heavy armor”. The latest updated prototype was seen at HK AGC event last week, which also revealed the 1/12th scale pilot designed by HK artist Kenny Wong.
I have selected a few photos to showcase here. More photos will be added once I receive more updates from Threezero :).
Kneeling pose is the benchmark of great articulation for action figures.
The details on the pilot amazed me. It is 1/12 action figures so it should be around Figma’s size. ThreeA really push for the best quality by using cloth for the sleeves and the pants, which is rare for small figures. I really like the skull mask helmet with the red eye, cool ONI look. 😀
I find the chest with “ONI” (Ghost) character fascinating. It comes with a nice cape and war robe, and those are textured and patterned cloth that we would normally see on a Yukata, a traditional costume in Japan.
The fingers seems articulated as well. I love the balance of rough armor and mechanical details, like the piston on the elbow. If you pay close attention to the feet, it is actually based on the design of Japanese slipper.
Mechanical Design Sketch
Overview on the cockpit gimmick
7 Great Features of Fullmetal Ghost
Since most of the info are written in Chinese (it looks like Cantonese too…), I did some translation on the Fullmetal Ghost’s features, hope you can understand this guy better
- Articulation – The Fullmetal Ghost’s joints ensure great posing ability and they come with unique design that stands out from other figures.
- LED Lights– Fullmetal Ghost’s eyes and chest comes with LED light up feature.
- Mecha Design – The design is based on Samurai’s armor from the Sengoku era. The cape and robe are made of high quality custom made cloth.
- Armored Pilot – It is a nicely painted action figure that can be put inside the mecha.
- Paint Job – Fullmetal Ghost is painted with Threezero’s unique paints and great weathering / rusty effects.
- Cockpit – The cockpit can be opened ad it has detailed interior design that allows pilot to fit inside.
- Gigantic size – Total height of 45cm with bulky, detachable armor.
Links for Bandai x Threezero Fullmetal Ghost
For release date or prices please visit Bandai’s site: Bandai x Threezero Fullmetal Ghost website